- Psychiatric Disorders
- Alzheimer’s Disease
Common & Uncommon Names
- Family Name: Apiaceae
- Botanical Name: Centella Asiatica
- English Name: Indian pennywort
- Hindi Name: Mandookparni
Other Uncommon Names of This Herb
Perook, Vallaarai, Thankuni Pata, Asiatic Pennywort, Indian Pennywort, Manduki, Divya, Maha Aushadhi, Pegagan, Mandookaparni, Khulakhudi, Thankun.
- Rasa (Taste): Bitter
- Virya (Potency): Sheeta (Cold)
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Madhur (Sweet)
- Unique Property: Brain tonic
This plant is common all over India, growing plentifully in moist localities, viz., marshy banks of rivers, streams, and ponds and in irrigated lawns and fields.
Best variety is from Grown in waterlogged places up to 2000 feet high
As per ayurveda:
Gotu Kola is used to support vein integrity which results in improved memory and attention span.
Revitalizes the nerves, tonic to the brain, strengthens intelligence, and improves concentration.
It is an aid for meditation that is said to balance the two sides of the brain.
Used to combat stress and depression, energize flagging psychological powers, fight sterility, ward off a nervous breakdown, and improve reflexes.
Best Use With:
- Respiratory Aid: The Powder of Gotu Kola can be used. Boil the Powder and make decoction add a little pepper powder and sugar and administer for a few weeks
- For Normal Body Temperature: Take decoction of Gotu Kola.
- For Rejuvenation: Boil the powder of Gotu Kola 1-2 teaspoons in cow milk and take it.
- For General Health and Body Strength: Mix Gotu Kola Powder with Ginger Powder in equal proportions and eat ½ teaspoon twice a day.
- In Healthy Brain Functions: Take Gotu Kola Powder, mix it with sugar, bees honey and a small quantity of Ghee. Take it with milk in healthy brain function.
- As a Tea: Boil Gotu Kola Powder in a small quantity of water then add some milk and sugar in it. Take it regularly. It is the best tonic.
Triterpenoid saponins viz., madecassoside and asiaticoside and there aglycones viz., Asiatic acid and madecassic acid. It also contains saponin viz ,other chemical constituents are asiaticoside B,brahminoside ,brahmhoside, centeloside, indencentelloside, thankuni side and isothankuniside triterpenoids and viz,brahmic acid isobrahmic acid, betulinic acid ,centric acid and centi oic acid ,flavonoide ,glycoside 3glycosylquercetin and 3glucosylkampferol and an alkaloid hydrocotyle
Directions for Use
Serving Size: Take 5 Gms (half to one teaspoon) 2 times a day Gotu Kola Powder with water 1-2 hrs after meals. Take the first dose after breakfast. If you are mixing with other herbs, use Gotu Kola proportionately or consult your healthcare provider.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle (Healthy Tips)
- Nutritional diet
- Morning walk
- Peaceful mind
- Restful sleep
Foods to Favor
- Flax seeds
- Nuts [Walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts]
- Green leafy Vegetables [pumpkin, beetroots, celery, broccoli, spinach]
- Oily fish [salmon, sardines]
- Coconut oil
- Egg yolk
- Dark chocolate
- Olive oil
Foods to Avoid
- Potato chips
- White rice
- White bread
- Starchy food
- Heavy food that is difficult to digest
- Oily food
- Take cereal with milk daily.
- Take regular meals at regular timings.
- Eat plenty of legumes, fruits and vegetables.
- Try to expose yourself to the outdoors for playing.
- Enjoy natural sounds and fresh air.
- Stop to take up the small snacks.
- Avoid stress or worries.
- Avoid alcohol consumption or smoking.
- Pregnant/Lactating women, children or any with Known pre-existing condition should take under the advice of a healthcare provider. Keep away from the reach of children.
- Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India
- Dravyaguna Vigana
- Adarsh Nighantu
- Centella asiatica. Altern Med Rev. 2007,12(1), 69-72
- Kapoor LD. CRC Handbook of Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press Inc;1990;61.
Reference Classical or Govt. Approved Books
This herb has been approved by the Department of Ayush/ Government of India after the proper screening of scientific evidence as well as classical reference by the GOVT REGULATORY BOARD COMMITTEE.
GMP and USDA Certified Organic Manufacturing Facility: Laboratory tested for quality purity and heavy metal standards.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any Disease.