Common & Uncommon Names
- Family Name: Leguminosae
- Botanical Name: Glycyrrhiza Glabra
- English Name: Liquorice
- Hindi Name: Mulhathi, Jethi-madh
Other Uncommon Names:
Acid Glycyrrhizic, Acid Glycyrrhizinate, Alcaçuz, Alcaçuz, Bois Doux, Bois Sucré, Can Cao, Chinese Licorice, Deglycyrrhized Licorice, Gan Cao, Gan Zao, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Typica, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Violacea, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Glandulifera, Glycyrrhizae Radix, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis, Glycyrrhiza, Glycyrrhizic Acid, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Isoflavone, Jethi-Madh, Kanzo, Lakritze, Licorice Root, Liquiritiae Radix, Liquirizia, Mithi-lakdi, Mulathi, Madhuka, Orozuz, Phytoestrogen, Phyto-œstrogène, Racine de Réglisse, Racine Douce, Radix Glycyrrhizae, Régalissse, Regaliz, Reglisse, Réglisse, Réglisse Déglycyrrhisée, Réglisse Espagnole, Réglisse Russe, Regliz, Russian Licorice, Spanish Licorice, Sudholz, Sussholz, Sweet Root, Yashti-Madhu, Yashti-Madhuka, Zhi Gan Cao, Spanish Juice, Black Sugar, Liquorice, Atimadhuram, Erattimadhuram.
- Rasa (Taste): Sweet, Bitter
- Guna (Characteristics): Unctuous
- Virya (Potency): Cooling
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Sweet
Region with rainfall of 500-650mm.
As per ayurveda:
Licorice Powder helps in healthy function of lungs. It helps to support the respiratory system. It is sweet nourishing herb that helps to boost up the immune system.
The major active component of Licorice is saponin known as Glycyrrhizin, also known as Glycyrrhizic Acid, which is an extremely sweet, foaming triterpene glycoside.
Best Use With:
- For Soothing throat and supporting singer’s voice: Gargles with decoction of Licorice Powder helps to soothe the throat.
- Soft Skin: Mix Powder of Licorice in “Mustard Oil” and rub on the hardened skin at bedtime. It softens the skin.
- For morning regularity: Take powder of Licorice with Jaggery (Gud) and water.
- For Healthy Function of Intestine: Mix Pomegranate juice and 1 tsp of Licorice Powder. Drink twice a day empty stomach. Or mix Licorice Powder – 2 parts, Red Sandalwood Powder – 1 part, “Shatavari Powder“- ½ parts. Take 1 tsp of this mixture twice a day with milk.
- For healthy Acid in Stomach: Take ½ gm of Licorice Powder with Coconut juice. It helps to support a healthy acid level that is formed in the stomach.
- For Healthy Hair: Make a paste of Licorice Powder, “Amalaki Powder” and Honey. Apply it on the head one hour before the head bath.
- Stress: Make a mixture of powder of “Brahmi” – 1 gm, Licorice Powder – 2 gm, “Jatamansi Powder” – 2 gm. Take 1 gm of this powder with water. It helps in fighting the stress.
- Healthy Tea: Tea prepared from equal amounts of Licorice Powder, Saunf, Ginger and few leaves of Tulsi. It helps to control the common cold, body ache and gives a refreshing feeling in the body.
Directions for Use:
Serving Size: Take 5 Gms (half to one teaspoon) 2 times a day Licorice Powder with water 1-2 hrs after meals. Take the first dose after breakfast. If you are mixing with other herbs, use Kutki proportionately or consult your healthcare provider.
Ayurvedic Lifestyle (Healthy Tips)
- Nutritional diet
- Morning walk
- Peaceful mind
- Positive thinking
Foods to Favor
- Light diet
- Green gram soup
- Bitter gourd
- Bottle gourd
- Green leafy vegetables
- Fresh fruits [Amla, Orange, Apple, Papaya, Grapes]
- Light moong dal
- Food rich in bitter and pungent taste
Foods to Avoid
- Fried food
- Lady finger
- Coco asia
- Esculent root
- Masoor Dal
- Ice creams
- Junk food
- Sweet food
- Excess salty or sour food
- Drink plenty of water.
- Maintain proper hygiene.
- Take Triphala powder or Amla daily to maintain morning regularity.
- Avoid long exposure to sun.
- Use of cosmetics should be limited.
- Avoid excess sea food or non vegetarian food.
- Pregnant/Lactating women, children or any with Known pre-existing condition should take under the advice of a healthcare provider. Keep away from the reach of children.
- Bhavaprakasha Nighantu
- Dhanvantari Nighantu
- Dravyaguna Vigana
- Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia of India
- Houseman, loc. cit.; Thorpe, VII, 362; Kapur et. al., loc. cit.; Trease, 393; McIlroy, 40; Puri & Seshadri, J. sci. industr. Res., 1954, 13B, 475; Chem. Abstr., 1950, 44, 4635.
- Gujral, M.L., Sareen, K., Phukan, D.P. and Amma, M.K.P. 1961a. Activity of glycyrrhizin Indian J. Med. Sci. 15, 625.
- Saxena, et. al., J. Ind. Med. Profes., 1970, 12, 5575.
Reference Classical or Govt. Approved Books
This herb has been approved by the Department of Ayush/ Government of India after the proper screening of scientific evidence as well as classical reference by the GOVT REGULATORY BOARD COMMITTEE.
GMP and USDA Certified Organic Manufacturing Facility: Laboratory tested for quality purity and heavy metal standards.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any Disease.